7+1 typical mistakes of a website design project
Typical mistakes of a website design project
Although there are hundreds of reasons why a project could go pear-shaped, we collected the major mistakes that occur quite often - and should be avoided.
Our tips don't contain any technical stuff and are written for non-professionals. Thousands of websites write about the technical side of website design. Our approach is a bit different, though. We focus on the 'human' factor - how and when people make the wrong decisions.
1. Don't plan your web design first. Start with planning content instead.
Web design is determined by its purpose. A website is just a 'tool', built for a specific goal. It has to work - everything else comes later. You have to define your goals. This will determine your content. After writing/creating the structure and content, your web designer will have the vision, how that content could/should be formed, shaped and illustrated. Conclusion: Always start with the content.
2. "I'd like to have a website like…"
Okay, we don't mean that you can't grab ideas and inspiration from other websites. No doubt, all of us are searching for ideas. However, let's be careful. It's good to search for inspiration, but never ever try to copy anything. If you do, it won't be you - and it won't work for you.
You could say that 'I like the style of something' or 'I really like bright and bold colours', etc. You always have to be aware of your own uniqueness. Know precisely why and how your business is different from your competitors.
3. Don't slow down, always keep building your website.
We've worked with so many new businesses... All of our clients were determined to write a blog in the beginning.
However, after a few weeks, the big enthusiasm disappeared... and business owners didn't continue writing their blogs, and the website was left alone... So, don't follow them, just keep up!
4. There's no such thing as a 'final' website.
Is it good or bad news?
A website should be updated and maintained because of different reasons:
- If you have a Wordpress system, you definitely need to update your system every now and again. Note: Our bespoke websites don't need technical updates compared to Wordpress sites.
- Google likes updated and fresh content. As such, you need to update your site not only because of your returning website visitors but also for SEO.
- As time goes by and new trends are coming, after a few years every website needs a face-lift. It will seem 'outdated' otherwise.
5. Don't let yourself be driven by your personal preferences…
We get this kind of request quite often: "Please put this image on my website, I like it so much…"
It's good to be passionate and personal, but always imagine what other people would think or feel when they visit your website and will see that photo. Ask yourself: 'Will they feel the same as I do?'
And ask your web designer too.
6. Don't put the history of your business on the home page.
Are you proud of your business? Of course, you are. But your potential visitors are NOT interested in your story - they need to see how your business helps them and what your business offers. Communicate clearly about your business and your services. If your potential clients don't know what your website is about, they will leave the site quite quickly. Simply put your history to the 'About us' page.
7. Don't put social media icons to the top of your site.
Is Social Media important? Yes, it is. Why? Because it helps with marketing and drives potential customers to your website.
But what if your potential clients are already on your website? Why on earth do you want them to click on your social media page and leave your site?
If they click, highly likely you will lose them because they will be 'swallowed' by Facebook...
...and +1 advice
Don't put your email address on the website. Have a good online contact form instead. Although it's just a small issue, it's recommended to protect your email address from spams. Alternatively, write it this way: 'hello at yourdomain.com'.
- Resize images and gain more speed 08-10-2019